Saturday, October 1, 2011

Zentangle Projects

Hello to all and Happy Autumn!



"Fairy in the Moonlight".  Her body and wings are done with white ink on black art paper.
 This is my favorite time of year, despite the mold and sinus problems.  I love the cooler weather, the desire to work indoors (I think this is an instinct built in us after years of "starting school" each September).  It makes me crave soup, crayons, good books and pulling out the cool weather clothing.

I recently completed a Zentangle doll challenge for the Dollstreet Dreamers.  This challenge doll was created from my stash of UFO's (unfinished objects).  It started as an attempt to make a color-block doll.  However, after making the body, adding the color block and embellishing with thick black lines between the blocks and gold painted "curlicues", I decided I hated the piece and it became another abandoned project. 


"Fairy in the Midday Sun" - completed in August, 2011.

Detail view.
When I accepted the challenge to make a Zentangle doll for this challenge, we were told that we could work in any medium.  Okay, paper is a medium and paper dolls are valid - right?  No, wrong.  When I asked this question I was told the doll needed to be 3-D.  Hmmmm....what to do?  I racked my brain but could not decide on a pattern (3-D that is) which would work as a canvas for "tangling".  As a last resort, I raided my UFO stash and found that, although I am still not crazy about the body overall, I thought this piece would make an excellent canvas for "tangles".  From there I was off and running. 

Here are some shots from my final 3-D project.  Enjoy and - I wish you all a gouhlishly wonderful Autumn time!

Full Zentangle Color-Block doll - September 2011.



Detail view - I loved being able to add highlights as well as low lights in the color block areas.  I will probably be working on colored paper in the future - or painted paper so that I can add the high- and low-lights at will.


Back side detail view.  I love the pattern created in the purple block. That is an accident of "tangling" - if you haven't tried this process, check out http://www.zentangle.com/ to find out more about the process. 
For those of you interested in seeing all the challenge dolls, please check them out on the Dollstreet Dreamers website.  I cannot wait to see what those talented doll makers have made.  I think they are scheduled to be posted on, or soon after October 1, 2011.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Radiance

Radiance
Handpainted skirt has a diameter of 14".